Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 08-18-2003, 05:01 PM   #1
xerka
Cooling Savant

500$ Mini-Grant

Well it's my last year in High School and I have become good friends with my Computer Science teacher, each year we get this mini-grant for $500 dollars, this year I get to spend it . I need to figure out something to buy with it for a school related project. I was maybe thinking a decent computer for a main node for a cluster, robotics stuff, software, or??? Anyone have any suggestions on what to buy for a school related project?
Thanks
Unread 08-18-2003, 05:28 PM   #2
cybrsamurai
Cooling Savant

Maybe a bunch of older Pentium Pro systems for a cluster. then you could do multi threading programming experiments.
Unread 08-18-2003, 07:20 PM   #3
Zhentar
Cooling Savant

If you can gather something around $9,000 more, there's the FIRST robotics. My school (Overland High School, you?) tried it last year, it was great. You register for a competition, it costs $5,000, and then they send you a box of parts, some rules and you've got 6 weeks to build a robot to compete in the competition. Our robot kinda sucked, but it was a lot of fun, and next year (except I graduated so I won't get to see) they should do way better.

It was really great, though getting together $10,000 for the kit and all the other parts you need can be difficult.
Zhentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 09:18 AM   #4
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

What cybrsamurai said! Or similar.
Unread 08-21-2003, 05:55 PM   #5
xerka
Cooling Savant

Quote:
If you can gather something around $9,000 more, there's the FIRST robotics. My school (Overland High School, you?) tried it last year, it was great. You register for a competition, it costs $5,000, and then they send you a box of parts, some rules and you've got 6 weeks to build a robot to compete in the competition. Our robot kinda sucked, but it was a lot of fun, and next year (except I graduated so I won't get to see) they should do way better.
That does sound interesting, but the money would definitely be a problem. How did you get money for it? By the way I go to Wheat Ridge HS.

I may just end up building a cluster becuase we already have a ton of old pentium 2's and I would just need to buy a better switch and main computer.