Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 08-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
TheLorax22
Cooling Neophyte

Default HD Upgrade for Snap 1100 - Help

I have an 80gb Snap Server 1100 with the following specs:
Model: 1000
Software: 4.0.860
Hardware: 2.0.2
BIOS: 4.0.855

I want to upgrade the HD to a 400gb spare I have laying around. I've read the Wiki on how to do a HD-to-HD copy and I've downloaded DD & Knoppix 6.2.1 but neither one of them work. The BIOS on the machine recognized the 2 drives, but DD says there are no partitions on the Snap drive, and Knoppix just doesn't do anything. After steps 6 & 7, I see nothing on the screen to "identify" the drives. No clue what to do there as I'm not a Linux person. Can anyone help me get this bigger drive prepped for the Snap server? Thanks!

TheLorax
TheLorax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
bitor
Cooling Savant

Default Re: HD Upgrade for Snap 1100 - Help

Hello and welcome TheLorax22,

One thing at a time I guess. You are not going to see any partitions on the snap drive.
Did you make an image of the SnapOS? Boot up with DD and put the image made from the snap drive in the root director of the windows drive(assuming you are using windows) then shutdown swap ORG Snap80 with replacement drive drive boot up from DD and mount windows drive then transfer image from windows root to new replacement drive. Follow the instructions in the Wiki.
Not sure what drive you have , but I have had no luck with ATA133 working in Snap1000v2, however yours is a Snap1100v3, so you might not have this problem because of the updated BIOS.
Get the max cache ram on your hard drive if you can. It makes a big difference with larger drives in this unit. You have 64mb of ram on your mobo and are able to run Java, but I wouldn't.

Good luck,
bitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax22 View Post
I have an 80gb Snap Server 1100 with the following specs:
Model: 1000
Software: 4.0.860
Hardware: 2.0.2
BIOS: 4.0.855

I want to upgrade the HD to a 400gb spare I have laying around. I've read the Wiki on how to do a HD-to-HD copy and I've downloaded DD & Knoppix 6.2.1 but neither one of them work. The BIOS on the machine recognized the 2 drives, but DD says there are no partitions on the Snap drive, and Knoppix just doesn't do anything. After steps 6 & 7, I see nothing on the screen to "identify" the drives. No clue what to do there as I'm not a Linux person. Can anyone help me get this bigger drive prepped for the Snap server? Thanks!

TheLorax
The views,expressions and opinions are mine and mine alone from what I have learned. These will be solely directed to the member by member's name and no other person unless I use no name. I make no warranties or guarantees.
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
TheLorax22
Cooling Neophyte

My bad...didn't read the instructions close enough. Downloaded Knoppix v5.1 and followed the instructions with it and it worked perfectly. My Snap server now is operating with the "new" 400gb HD. Only issue now is that with all security turned off, I still see some issues creating folders from Win7 clients (but that was kinda expected). With some Win7 clients when you create a new folder the window stops responding but in the background it is creating lots and lots of New Folders. It only stops creating them when you kill the process. Any good work around for that? I had read somewhere before that this was really only an issue with security turned on the Snap server. Thanks.

TheLorax
TheLorax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
blue68f100
Thermophile

There is a sticky that addressed the problem when vista came out. There is a setting that may help but keep in mind that any os > XP is not supported.

With the large HD do not shut it down. Keep it running 24/7 it will be easier on the Power supply. Starting up these large HD's tax the PS very hard.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote