Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
letumburn
Cooling Neophyte

Default water flow path

i have put together a second water cooled computer and this one i used a nv-78 water block for my vga card and a mp-05 extreme block for the cpu

i came out of the pump,into the radiator out of radiator into thermaltake tank and flow meter combo,out of that put a Y-fitting one line to cpu and one to vga out of both tie back in with Y and back to the pump

ive noticed that the flow going into the cpu seems to be building up air bubbles in the line right before it goes in and the flow going to vga is rolling thru it

if i squeeze the line going to the vga you can see the air bubbles leave the cpu line and it stays like that for a while but they just come back

so i guess my question is,,is it better to run the line with out the Y-conections and go straight into the cpu first and then out to the vga card then back to the pump

just in case you need to know im useing the danger-den D5 new pump witch is a great pump has awsome flow on it

thanks for letting me post hope some one has a answer thanks
letumburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2006, 11:21 PM   #2
Long Haired Git
Cooling Savant

Default Re: water flow path

Split paths almost never result in better performance.
In this case the VGA block is probably a lot less restrictive that the CPU block, and hence flow through the CPU block is a lot less, which means the coolant moves through it at a lot slower velocity, hence the bubbles collecting there.

Ditch it and go serial.

Also watch out for putting a reservoir between the pump outlet and a restriction (eg: two waterblocks in series). Reservoirs are not as easy to get water tight as blocks, and you may get leaks. Ideally reservoirs go immediately before the pump, with as little restriction (think short, high ID tubing) to the pump inlet as possible.
"Securing an environment of Windows platforms from abuse - external or internal - is akin to trying to install sprinklers in a fireworks factory where smoking on the job is permitted." (Prof. Gene Spafford)
My Rig, in all its glory, can be seen best here
AMD XP1600 @ 1530 Mhz | Soyo Dragon + | 256 Mb PC2700 DDRAM | 2 x 40 Gb 7200rpm in Raid-0 | Maze 2, eheim 1250, dual heater cores! | Full specifications (PCDB)

Long Haired Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
letumburn
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: water flow path

thanks for the tips

ya last night i switched the lines around to see if it would make a difference but it didnt

i did notice that the water flow is hitting the front of the fitting rolling off it creating turbulance and then rolling back across the topof the tubing

but i think im going to run it the way you said into the cpu first then in the vga card

thanks for the help ill try and post some pics later let ya see it
letumburn is offline   Reply With Quote