Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-17-2001, 09:58 PM   #1
SniggZ
Cooling Neophyte

Default Asus Temp Probe=High Temps?

I have an Asus A7V133 and my temps also seem a few Degress C higher than people with the exact same CPU and watercooling....
I think I remember hearing about the Asus boards reporting slightly higher temps than other boards. Is this true?

My temps with a Maze2 from DD with a AquaCoil and AquaCube from Aquastealth.com
are around 40-43C with good airflow in the case. Im also using purple ice (same as water wetter) and its all setup correct but it seems that my temps are a bit high for a 1.1Ghz TBird compared to other peoples temps.

Am i correct or not?
SniggZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2001, 07:11 AM   #2
bdunosk
Cooling Neophyte

Yes, you are absolutely correct. The high-temp effect can be attributed to two sources on Asus's A7Vx motherboards (I had an A7V and did a lot of reading on this on www.a7vtroubleshooting.com ):

1) The temperature reported by the BIOS is actually reported higher than the actual CPU temp. This is to compensate for the possibility of the thermal probe measuring the air temperature behind the socket and not the actual CPU core temperature, which would be higher (of course).

2) The BIOS you are using is not allowing the CPU to idle when it's not busy, that is, it's running at 100% all the time. Check that site above to rectify the problem. Or just sell your board and get something else, like an Abit KT7a. Go DDR like me and get an Epox 8k7a - most stable board I've used, ever (and that's in the past ~10 years).
bdunosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2001, 11:03 AM   #3
SniggZ
Cooling Neophyte

ya, I also thought my board wasnt allowing my CPU to Idle since my full load and idle tmeps were always the EXACT same temps!

Thanks man
SniggZ is offline   Reply With Quote