Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 10-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
dnsincorp
Cooling Neophyte

Snapserver 410 OS????

ok I know I am going to given a hard time for this one. But the help would be nice. I have a snapserver 410 that was working and booting up just fine. Then my ex- emploee unannounced took the HDDs out and deleted the partions, And left me a not about it. There is nothing inmportan on the HDDs so I was not upset untill I found out that the OS was on the HDD's. And now I have a nice boat anker. Overland will not help with reloading the OS to it and tell me that I have to send the whol unit into there office to get it reloaded and that is going to cost me about $1400.00..... So I tred doing a recovery on the HDDs in hop to find the os. I am finding all my files but not the OS. So I thought I would ask you guys the gods of computer teckno the masters of the world. I am kinda at a lost here on what to even do. I have thought about selling it off, I know it work it just need the OS on it. Thanks so much for the help
Dave
dnsincorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: Snapserver 410 OS????

Welcome to the forum.

There are about 7 partitions on a GOS HD. So keep digging. If you still have the GSU file you will not need all of the partitions. Just the MBR and Bootloader will activate the recovery console. From there you can do a clean install.

Now if you have another GOS unit just power it down and insert one of HD then boot the server. The server will transfer the OS over to it, only on cold boot. The power down and re install the original HD back into the server. You will need to have the Server resinc since you broke the Raid5 array.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
dnsincorp
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the info but is that MBR a fat32??? I kinda need to nkow what to look for. And I wish I had a spare here. All I have is a bnuch of m4100 that work with no HDDs.
dnsincorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
blue68f100
Thermophile

Here is a lists of root files on my 4500 the one in bold are the partitions you need to try to get.
admin-cgi
etc
install_tools
mgmt
sfdiskmap.out
var
apps
flash
lib
mnt
shares
version
bin
ftp
lighttpd_web
proc
sys This is one that you must have. With this you should get to the recovery console.
WhichRoot
common-cgi
hd
local_user_
ramdisk
tmp
dev
htdocs
management
sbin
usr

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820